The Doucet House originally built in circa 1764, was preserved and restored because of it’s cultural and historical significance to the early Acadian settlement of the area. The Doucet House is not only an important example of early Acadian vernacular architecture on Prince Edward Island but also a record of early Acadians and their re-establishing themselves following the expulsion. It currently functions as a seasonal operation open for public viewing as an adjunct to the Farmers Bank of Rustico.
Farmers Bank of Rustico
The Farmers Bank of Rustico established in 1864 as one of the first examples of the credit union system in North America. In November of 1999 the final phase of the restoration of the Farmers Bank began. A number of Provincial and Federal Government and funding commitments enabled the Friends of the Farmers Bank of Rustico Inc Committee to begin developing the interpretive exhibit highlighting the history of the Acadians, Father Belcourt and the origination of the first Peoples Bank. The goal of the committee is to restore, preserve and conserve the building and its artifacts.
Wayne Easter with Judy MacDonald and Édouard Blanchard of the friends of the Farmers’ Bank of Rustico. The organization received a $215,000 federal contribution for the restoration of the historic Doucet House located on the grounds of the Farmers’ Bank.
New Glasgow Streetscape
The New Glasgow Community Streetscape Project was a community driven endeavor sponsored by Central Development Corporation dedicated to improving the general appearance of the community, and to encourage residents and visitors alike to be better informed about the Communities history.
The project entailed the construction of a boardwalk, installation of streetlights, 5 information panels highlighting New Glasgow’s historic achievements, 2 picnic shelters, island stone wishing well, park benches, community landscaping and bicycle parking racks. The Community committee is responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of the project. People can now walk in safety on a thoughtful well designed boardwalk that links many of the communities main tourism establishments.
Wayne Easter with Jim and Gay Hancock of the New Glasgow Eco-tourism Committee and Norman Gallant, Chair of the Central Development Corporation. The Committee received a federal contribution of $225,000 for a streetscape project including a boardwalk and greenspace.
North Rustico Marina and Interpretive Centre
Fearing the removal of the wharf, know to locals as the “bullpen”, would cause adverse effects to an already problematic harbour, the North Rustico Harbour Authority spearheaded a development plan for the area which would save the harbour by incorporating tourism activities and a Marina.
The North Rustico Harbour Authority worked closely with the Gulf Shore Community Development Committee and Central Development Corporation in the planning and preparation of a proposal. Partners were sought out with hopes of beginning construction in the spring of 2002.
The Wharf and Marina were to become the central focus of the development. People were drawn to this location because of the natural sights and sounds as well as the activity which will be present. Rustico Harbour is already visited by a large number of tourists who are attracted by the rustic allure of the buildings and waterside setting, therefore, it is strategic to provide these visitors with an opportunity to learn more about the local culture and history.
The Municipality of Stanhope, in discussions with community groups, local residents and Central Development Corporation have been researching a 3 kilometre promenade to be constructed along the Bay Shore Road.